Summer is the time to enjoy traveling and vacations, but do not be lax with your cyber hygiene and follow these top 10 tips to stay secure online this summer!
- Too many travelers post photos and public updates while traveling, leaving them vulnerable to theft at their homes. Please do not post photos and updates about your travels until after you have returned from the trip.
- Purchase a Virtual Private Network (VPN) subscription and always use VPN while connected on any public Wi-Fi network. This will encrypt your communications and help reduce chances of being hacked into.
- Backup your important data prior to leaving on the trip.
- Ensure that all your device operating systems are fully updated to the latest versions before embarking on a trip. These updates and patches usually have the latest security updates.
- Ensure that you have a good reputed anti-virus software installed on your devices. Update to the latest patch/ version prior to the trip. Run anti-virus checks periodically on your devices during the trip if possible.
- If your device and/ or cell service provider offer the option, set tracking on your device and also make sure you know how to remotely wipe the data from your device in case it is lost or stolen.
- Always use a strong password on all electronic devices.
- Always be aware of where your devices are. Chances are high of losing a device or getting it stolen while on a hectic trip or at an unknown place.
- Try to set up two-factor authentication on your accounts wherever possible, as this also increases your level of security while traveling.
- Try not to access any of your financial or banking or credit card accounts online while traveling and especially while connected to a public Wi-Fi network. If you have to enter a credit card number online to make a reservation or to buy tickets to a tourist attraction, use a VPN and ensure that the site is secure - usually that can be seen with https in the URL rather than http; or there would be a padlock at the URL line indicating that the site is secure.
Enjoy your summer – whether traveling or staying home – and be sure to follow these top 10 tips to stay secure online this summer.
For more general cyber hygiene tips, watch our cyber hygiene video:
By Rema Deo.